5 things that cause bad gas mileage
(And 4 ways to fix it)
ERIE, Pa., March 18, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Is it time to take a closer look at how you drive and take care of your vehicle? As gas prices rise (and they do), these habits may have a bigger impact on your wallet than you think. Improving your gas mileage (also called miles per gallon or MPG) is one way to start. Your gas mileage is measured by calculating the number of miles a vehicle can travel using a single gallon of fuel.
Erie Insurance helps you identify what can be causing poor gas mileage in your vehicle and four ways to fix it, as recommended by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy and Consumer Reports.
Regardless of the type of vehicle you drive, all of these factors can have a negative impact on gas mileage:
- Speed: The faster you drive, the more fuel your vehicle consumes. This also includes the speed at which you accelerate.
- Slow motion: Keeping your car on to warm up or cool down, waiting in line at a drive-thru, or waiting to pick up your child from soccer practice can reduce your vehicle’s fuel economy.
- Aerodynamic drag and excess weight: Driving too fast or traveling with a roof rack? These can increase wind resistance, causing your vehicle to use more gas. And towing any type of trailer or hauling too much stuff in your trunk, bed or back seat also requires more fuel.
- Bad maintenance: From under-inflated tires to an unattended engine problem, failure to consistently “tune” your vehicle can cost you significantly more at the pump. It can also create potential security risks.
- Fast moves: A quick trip to the supermarket on Monday. Stop at the bank on Wednesday. While it can be convenient to do these errands one at a time, it can wreak havoc on your fuel economy. Fast, short trips like this from a “cold start” eat fuel because your engine needs to warm up before it can run efficiently.
How can you improve your MPG?
- Drive more efficiently: Obey the speed limit and drive sensibly – not aggressively (eg, quick accelerations, sudden stops, etc.). On the highway, do not speed up or slow down (unless you need to for your safety). Once you know, stick with it. Use cruise control when possible.
- Keep your car in shape: Make sure your engine is tuned, keep tires properly inflated, and use the correct grade of engine oil. To verify 9 things you should never do with your car for basic tips on maintaining your car.
- Plan and combine trips: Spend less time sitting in traffic by avoiding rush hour on daily commutes. Do all your errands in one day rather than making several short trips over the course of the week. If you have a particularly long commute, ask your employer if you can work from home a day or two a week.
- Opt for a more fuel-efficient vehicle: If your budget allows, consider buying a vehicle that boasts better MPG than your current vehicle. With rising fuel prices, you could save hundreds of dollars in fuel costs per year by upgrading from a 20 MPG to a 30 MPG vehicle. See the fuel economy calculator at fueleconomy.gov.
You can also save your wallet by saving on your monthly premium. With ERIE, cheap car insurance does not necessarily mean poor protection and service. ERIE provides cheap car insurance with many opportunities to reduce and avoid increases in your auto insurance costs while maintaining quality coverage. Find a place ERIE agent to explain your coverage options and learn how you can start saving.
About Erie Insurance
According to AM Best Company, Erie Insurance Group, based in Erie, Pennsylvaniais the 12th home insurer, the 13th automobile insurer and the 13th business insurer in United States based on direct written premiums. Founded in 1925, Erie Insurance is a Fortune 500 company and the 16th largest property and casualty insurer in United States based on the total number of net premium lines written. Rated A+ (superior) by AM Best, ERIE has more than 6 million policies in force and operates in 12 states and the District of Colombia. Erie Family Life Insurance Company is rated A (Excellent) by AM Best Company. Life insurance policies not underwritten new York State. Erie Insurance Group is a FORTUNE 500 company.
Press releases and more information are available at of ERIE website at www.erieinsurance.com.
SOURCE Erie Insurance Group